Wednesday 4 September 2013

To be a kaiako or not to be!

I could see Summer, Emily and Lucy studiously writing. Summer: “We’re playing teachers!” Emily: “They write!” Summer: “Lucy is the kid and we are teaching her how to write.” Emily: “My big brother tells me how to write.” (Emily was copying a word from the card and with so much detail!) I began to write down their conversation. Summer: “Louise, how do you write so fast? Louise: “I’ve had lots of practice.” Summer: “I can write fast too!” Summer showed me her fast writing and I wondered if my writing looks like a scribble to them. As we work alongside the children we are always role modelling our ways of being and we need to remember children will make their own interpretation of what they see. We always encourage children to give things a go but I did wonder by writing beside Summer and Emily interrupted the work they were doing. When I first approached the girls at the table they were so engaged in their writing and trying so very hard to be accurate when writing their letters and words that it really made me think of what we do as teachers/kaiako. Next time I will be more aware and choose my time and space to join in!

1 comment:

  1. I really like the description with this post Louise, Ka rawe.If I was a parent or a grandparent of a child at Geraldine Kindergarten I would be pleased to have this succinct explanation of the learning that is evolving over time.

    ReplyDelete